Monday 16 February 2015

Year B - First Sunday of Lent

First Sunday of Lent - Year B
Genesis 9, 8-15
Psalm 24
1 Peter 3, 18 - 22
Mark 1, 12-15

To go further
Details

- When we are baptised, God makes a commitment towards us. We become "Children of God", His children ! Those of you who have children know that we can't have children without committing to feed them, house them, bring them up...
- On this drawing, God commits, he's already signed. He's asking the baptised person for something in return.
- Baptism isn't a stamp that gives your a right to other sacraments (communion, confirmation, confession, marriage…), it's first and foremost a gift. God gives his life for me. God commits for me. Check on the picture, where you're supposed to sign, what can you see ? There's a cross on the cap of the pen. This is God's commitment. He commits to loving me even if I turn my back on Him, loving me even if I betray Him, loving me to the death, even to death on a cross.
- The rabbit is trying to get away from it. "He wasn't told" that you had to give something in return. Maybe I didn't ask to be baptised ? Maybe I feel like I was forced and now I'm forced to commit ? If that's the case, then maybe I should first try to understand the real meaning of baptism. Then, I will probably be quite pleased to have been baptised.

Questions

- The rabbit is accusing the other "I wasn't told". It's often quite easy to say so. It takes away any responsibility. It's just like saying "It's not my fault" and the problem is solved. When I commit to something, do I think about the consequences ?
- If things don't turn out as expected, do I run away from my responsibilities, do I look for answers somewhere else or do I accept my responsibilities ?
- Find an example when you ran away from your responsibilities and one when you accepted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment